It has been a very important part in bridport Towns history indeed it has been a big part of national history too.
In 1685, the Duke of Monmouth’s first conflict occurred at the Bull Inn in East Street during his failed attempt to overthrow King James II from the throne.
A troop of Monmouth’s men under Colonel Venner entered the town, shots were fired from the Bull and in the mêlée that followed, Edward Coker of Mapperton and Wadham Strangways were killed.
Colonel Venner was also shot and wounded by the King’s militia from the now bricked up window at the front of The Bull Hotel. Soon afterwards, the owner Daniel Taylor, a local merchant and Quaker, set up a trust financed by rents from the Bull Hotel.
The income was used to fund a school and teacher for twelve poor children of the town. The school room was above the newly built Bridport Town Hall.
In 1849 the Bull Hotel was sold to the Knight family, remaining under the family’s ownership for the nFestivalext 110 years. It was re-built with a ballroom, minstrels’ gallery and billiard room. Through the late 1900’s the Bull Hotel was becoming rather tired looking, but in recent years under the control of new owners the Hotel has been restored to its former glory.
And is again at the center of Bridports culture and is a hub of activity holding and taking an active part in various festivals including the Bridport Literary Festival, The Bridport Hat Festival, The spirit of Bridport Festival, The Bridport Food Festival.
Many local clubs use The Bull hotel for meetings including Bridport Rotary club.
If ever there is a building that is part of our national history and an important part of Bridport, then this is that building, it was a joy to photograph.